Friday, December 14, 2007

Several Treats

If you ever have an opportunity to see a performance by the Debbie Allen Dance Academy, take it. Really, no matter the title or subject matter, I am certain it will be worth the trip. Thursday Night, I attended the Gala performance for DADA's Alex in Wonderland, a show which Ms. Allen brought to life at the Kennedy Center in DC and revived this year in LA. With music by James Ingram and children of all ages dancing from ballet to hip hop and tap, it was a phenomenal experience. It was also an amazing fundraiser complete with a silent auction, all the proceeds of which provide scholarships for dancers at the academy - talk about Save The Music. With school, work, tv and computers, enough of us don't remember to get some culture from time to time and participate in the arts, so get on it. You won't regret it.


All in a day's work: Before attending Alex in Wonderland, I had a major priority and that was to go to Revival, a vintage boutique our here that I read about in Vibe Vixen months ago (Rihanna edition...OMG, did you know that magazine is now defunct? That's a whole nother story). I made a mental note that I would go when I had a little money, but either the dollars weren't right or school was kicking my butt, so I couldn't make it out there until this past Thursday....Finally! I am so glad I made it at all. I went with my mom who was in town for the gala and we had a ball. The owner, Nicole Swasey (left) is adorable and fabulous and I can't wait to go back. I found a beautiful magenta cape with fox fur around the neck, but I couldn't justify the nearly $400 purchase. However, Nicole gave us a coupon for our next visit and I have been pondering all of the places that I can wear my future fox cape (another gala, my living room, the grocery store).

To LA girls and visitors hoping to stop through Revival, it's important for me to mention the website (http://www.revivalvintagela.com/) because there are a few other Revival locations in the LA area that ARE NOT Nicole's, but this fabulous vintage collection can be found in Sherman Oaks, CA (which I learned yesterday is "The Valley"). Check it out.



Behold: Paul & Joe beautiful draped tunic which I tried on at some boutique store on Sunset and thought it was hot! But it was outrageously priced! $596! UGH! Anywho, it is also on shopbob so I have been able to lust after it for a month or so. It's so fly that I thought I must share and take my word for it, because it is even more beautiful in person than in this pic. [This is really a shameless ploy for my sister to devise a plan for me to receive this gift on Christmas. Of course, if I have inspired someone to splurge on this fab top, it's all good. I don't mind a twin.]





Delightful & Inexpensive

It appears that Supermodel Iman has created her own line of affordable accessories inspired by worldly finds from her own personal collection. Tia Williams, of the blog Shake Your Beauty, quoted Miss Iman as saying "[The collection is] inspired by the vintage jewelry that my husband has given me over the years...You're never fully dressed without an accessory! They're the stars of your wardrobe." Iman's handbags and accessories are available on HSN.com. Take a look at my favorite piece from the collection below (under $50):

No comments: